Here is how Melinda got through her 31 day break from drinking:
First things first. Sounds corny, but it made all the difference in my 31 days. I did it because “I said I would”. Yeah, I’ve made those promises to myself in the past, but always gave in to the “negotiator”. More on that later. But for now, I want to thank Dee for inviting me, and also for letting me know that I would not derail her efforts if I failed. That gave me the courage to try, and because I’m a person of my word, and I made a commitment to Dee, I followed through. Simple as that. Was it easy – hell no. It sucked at the beginning. But, I had company, and I wanted to succeed. For once I wasn’t scared of success. THANK YOU Dee, and to everyone here who joined us or cheered us on.
Some strategies I employed, in no particular order:
I got up early, 3 hours before I had to start work. During this time:
- I logged into The Forum.
- I journaled in a brand new journal I purchased specifically for my 31 days.
- I tried the “Calm” App for meditation.
- I increased my morning walking time from 20 minutes to 40+ minutes.
- I started the “Ripped” DVD – doing it 3x a week with light weights.
I urge surfed:
- I colored in my adult coloring book.I pulled out my beading supplies and re-learned how to do things. I made a bracelet (next up a tracking bracelet – more on that later).
- I bought a SODUKU book and actually used it.
- I swam in my pool (note – I swam – not floated. No arms to hold a drink while swimming vs. floating).
- I went for a walk around the block after work (I work at home)
- I went for a walk around the block after dinner
- I did NOT join my husband at the neighborhood bar after work.That sucked, but I’m over it now.
- I researched new dinner recipes.
- I named that little gremlin, you know that negotiator that says “just one won’t hurt”. Her name – and she’s not worthy of a real name, but I call her the “puffy bitch”. You know, the one with the fat face, the bloodshot eyes, the red nose, the gray skin. What a bitch. She’s sneaky. I don’t like her. She’s mean. She steals my memory. She steals my kindness, my patience, my appreciation for life and loved ones. Like I said, she’s a bitch. Have I told you how I really feel about her?
I replaced my drinks:
- N/A beers in the home fridge, and while out at restaurants/bars. Yes, I’m a beer snob, and they suck, but it makes it easy to stick to one then switch – by then the uncomfortable feelings have passed.
- I discovered Komuchu Ginger-ade. It has a kick. I put it in a wine glass with sparkling soda, or in a frosty beer mug straight up. Wish they had this at bars.
- Insider tip – Invest in K-Cups. I used to drink 2 cups a day. Now, I’ve stopped counting. I guess that’s my next challenge to cut down.
- I drink more water. Loaded the “Daily Water” app. Makes a gulping sound when you click on the glass. Corny, but it makes me want to get my waters in.
- I found a great seafood bar that serves N/A wine. “Fre”. It also sucks, but it’s the whole ambiance of wine with food. It works. Easy to only have one.
- I have made a list of over a dozen things I want to try – now that I don’t have to plan around – I can’t do that/drive there – it will interfere with my drinking.
This post was contributed by MM Forum’s Melinda